Simple zucchini dishes
Use your produce to make healthier meal alternatives
Posted: July 15, 2018 at 6 a.m.
Balsamic Grilled Zucchini
2 zucchinis, quartered lengthwise
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat grill for medium-low heat and lightly oil the grate.
2. Brush zucchini with olive oil. Sprinkle garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt over zucchini.
3. Cook on preheated grill until beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Brush balsamic vinegar over the zucchini and continue cooking 1 minute more. Serve immediately.
1 pound pork sausage
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Trim stems from zucchini and slice lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and put in bowl. Mix seeds with sausage, garlic, bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese. Stuff squash with sausage mixture and place in 9X13 inch baking pan. Pour sauce over squash and cover pan with foil.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until sausage is cooked. Remove foil and cover with mozzarella cheese. Cook until cheese is melted.
Quick Baked Zucchini Chips
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 egg whites
1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
2. In one small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Place the egg whites in a separate bowl. Dip zucchini slices into the egg whites, then coat the breadcrumb mixture. Place on a greased baking sheet.
3. Bake for 5 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn over and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until browned and crispy.NAN Dining Guide Spotlight on 07/15/2018